You’re stressed out. Freaking out. Tired out. And washed out.
Are you ignoring your own needs? Not taking care of yourself?
You’re smart. Shouldn’t you know better?
True or false:
1. Everyone’s needs come before mine.
2. I have to be busy or I’m not worthy.
3. Look at all of the suffering on the planet. Who am I to get a massage?
4. Therapy is self-indulgent navel-gazing.
5. I’m smart so I shouldn’t need exercise.
6. Meditation is so last year.
7. If I take care of myself, I’ll be just like my narcissistic mother.
8. If I were really gifted, I wouldn’t get anxious and wouldn’t need time to unwind.
9. It’s a sign of weakness to take time to relax.
10. I prefer donuts to broccoli.
11. If I took time for myself, I’d feel guilty.
12. If I took time for myself, my kids would suffer.
13. If I took time for myself, I might like it and then the whole family would fall apart because I’d escape to a tropical island and read novels all day and all night.
14. I don’t have needs.
15. Needs are for sissies.
16. If I took care of myself, I might be happy and that would be weird.
Now you know the reasons you avoid self-care. Those reasons aren’t good enough.
You need to do the things that nourish you and relax you and heal you so that you can be the person you’re meant to be. Don’t waste any more time. You can’t be your authentic powerful purposeful self without nourishing your heart, your mind, your body, your soul and your spirit.
Don’t wait any longer.
To my bloggEEs: How do you take care of yourself? What do you do to self-soothe or to nourish your heart, mind, body, soul and spirit? And, as always, I want to know what you’re wondering about. Tell us in the comments.
This post is part of a blog hop at http://www.hoagiesgifted.org on self-care for gifted kids and adults. Click on the first link to select more posts from the website. Click on the Next Blog button to go directly to the next blog in the hop.